Pregnancy is exciting and a special time for you and your baby. But let’s be real, lots of changes are about to happen and sleep deprivation is impending. It’s all part of the amazing package of motherhood, right? But you don’t have to watch your home fall apart after your little one arrives. Pregnancy is a great time to get things in order and prepare for the next phase of your life – and make room for all of that baby gear! So take some time during pregnancy to pave the way for organization even once your new baby arrives. Here’s how:
- Freeze meals. Set aside a few evening or weekend hours to make simple, freezable meals. This way you’ll have something to fall back on when you’re in a bind with no time to prepare food for your family. Don’t forget to label the containers so you know exactly what’s inside!
- Make a basic cleaning schedule. List out the most pertinent cleaning tasks (dishes, mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms, laundry, etc.) and map out how they should work into your week. This way you’ll have something to refer to when you’re feeling overwhelmed and others in the house can help you keep things in check.
- Sort through your clothing and purge. Transitions are the perfect time to reflect on what you own and get rid of things that don’t serve you well anymore. Divide your wardrobe into categories and conquer one at a time, approaching them with a new attitude – are you really going to wear this as a mom?
- Create a system for sentimental items. Your baby’s arrival will come along with lots of cards, letters and sentimental items so create a system that you’ll be able to maintain throughout your child’s growth. Buy a binder with page protectors to store the most important papers and contain the rest in a clear plastic bin Use properly labeled plastic folders to separate items into categories (cards, letters, pictures). And make sure to curate the collection so you don’t end up with an overwhelming, unapproachable amount of keepsakes.
- Set up a quiet area for nursing/bottle feeding. Feeding is special bonding time for you and your baby so you want to be able to do it comfortably. Cordon off an area in your home reserved for quiet time with your little one and make sure it’s loaded with proper pillows, books and a water bottle to keep you hydrated.
Want to get organized before your newbie arrives? We’re giving away a 2-hour organizing session with Tidy Tova ($170 value) to help you create systems, find a home for every last belonging and clear plenty of space for your new baby. (Only available in Manhattan and Brooklyn.) Comment below to enter, or post a pic on Instagram of your messy baby space desperately in need of tidying up and tag @wellroundedny and @tidytova. Good luck!