I don’t think anyone told me I was “glowing” either time I was pregnant. I’m not sure that is the word I would have used to describe me in the early months, either — nauseated is more like it, or tired. Add to that some extra-dry skin and acne like I hadn’t had since middle school, and let’s just say I wasn’t feeling my most beautiful. Of course, that’s not the point of pregnancy, but sometimes a gestating gal still wants to look her best!
If you’re suffering from any of the common pregnancy skin issues, but you don’t want to pile chemicals on your skin, there are some really amazing natural, healthy pregnancy-safe makeup and skincare products out there for you. Some even contain treatment ingredients that could help alleviate your skin symptoms, all while covering them up in the meantime. If that doesn’t give you a reason to smile, go all the way to the bottom of this article for some red lipstick suggestions— that ought to do the trick!
Here is what you need to fix 8 common pregnancy skin problems.
1. Too much glow. Sweaty? Oily? Yup, you can thank those pregnancy hormones for that! The RMS un-powder can help! This ultra-fine, super-silky powder has only two ingredients (mica and silica — not to confuse with silicone) and will never give you a white cast. It’s so sheer but so effective. No one will know you’re wearing powder.
2. You’re NOT glowing enough (Dull skin). Pregnancy can make a lady tired, and along with fatigue comes dull skin. Good 4 You Plant Makeup’s Pink Rose Shimmer Balm to the rescue! Made by hand with French Pink Clay and pure natural mica, this very subtle balm moisturizes, highlights and adds a little sparkle.
3. Breakouts! Oh, hello, pimples. We meet again. Juice Beauty’s Photo Pigments Perfecting Concealer will mask your blemishes while healing them with Organic Coconut oil, known for its antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial properties.
4. Dryness and itchiness. Winter, especially, can take a toll on your skin, and with low temps come flakes, bumps and cracks. So how about a multitasking product that moisturizes, soothes, and protects while providing a light tint for that no-makeup look? If you suffer from parched and dry skin during pregnancy, Suntegrity 5-in-1 Natural Moisturizing face sunscreen is the product for you.
5. Under eye circles from lack of sleep. Tossing and turning at night because you cannot get comfortable? You know what that means… Dark circles and puffy eyes. You need a great concealer! W3LL PEOPLE’s Bio Correct Multi-Action Concealer contains caffeine, so while the gorgeous mineral pigments cover those circles, the caffeine also depuffs your under-eye area!
6. Capillaries and visible veins. During pregnancy, your veins may make your body look like a country map. Nothing to worry about, your network of veins is actually here to carry your increasing blood supply and provide a support system to your growing baby. visible due to increased blood volume. You may also experience spider veins (also spider angiomas or spider nevi) on your face, which is also due to increased blood circulation. Gressa Skin Minimalist Corrective Serum Foundation, an incredible serum-to-powder formula, is like multi-vitamin for your skin and provides seamless coverage.
7. The mask of pregnancy. Are you noticing, dark, blotchy brown spots on your cheeks and forehead? Blame it on an estrogen surge stimulating melanin production. The Aloe Nourishing Foundation by the powerhouse indie brand 14e is incredibly pure and natural. It has only a few ingredients, and its base is Aloe, which means it soothes as it covers.
8. Everyone says, “you look tired.” Ugh, thanks, people. I know! But it doesn’t have to be so. In my opinion, nothing wakes up a face like a good mascara. Alima Pure makes one that’s super-subtle, if you’re not much of a makeup wearer and don’t want to look like you suddenly went all-out.
Bonus tips to accentuate the positive. If you can’t disguise whatever is bothering your skin, just highlight something else on your gorgeous face! Prim Botanicals Lip Sheen pots come in a sweet coral (Pretty Perfect) and a deeper berry (Hey, Now). Both nourish with a base of organic coconut and olive oils. Plus, like everything from this top-notch brand, they smell great!
Redefine your brows with Jane Iredale retractable brow pencils to make you look instantly put together. Plus, you’ll attract attention to your eyes. I recommend the golden blonde shade for all, even if your hair is dark, for a subtle brow-shaper. If you want to feel uplifted, Rituel de Fille just came out with a brand-new “Rare Light Luminizer,” which has a creamy texture and a dreamy, etherial glow! Available in three shades, including Anthelion, which looks like pure gold! If all else fails, slap on some gorgeous, nourishing red lipstick, smile (HAN Skincare Cosmetics’ Cheek and Lip Tint in Cherry Cosmos is my go-to shade to brighten things up).
Shop the post: