*We’ve partnered with NYDJ to make you feel chic and confident for your morning drop-off.
Sometimes being a mom feels like being a teenager all over again. The awkward stage your body is in, the mommy cliques you’re not sure you belong to, and the daily trauma of figuring out what to wear to school…drop-off, that is.
Showing up to drop-off as your most confident self has a lot to do with what you’re wearing. But we know that getting dressed can be a challenge when you’re also trying to wrangle your kiddos for school!
The right pair of jeans can make a big difference in how you look — and feel. So we’ve partnered with NYDJ, a denim brand made by women for women with jeans that fit and flatter women’s curves to show you some drop-off fashion inspo courtesy of some real Brooklyn mamas, plus share 10 key styling strategies to ace your morning drop-off style.
1. Do your denim right. Owning a well-rounded denim wardrobe can help make AM dressing run smooth. Choose styles that are versatile, flattering and comfortable, like NYDJ’s Marilyn Straight Ankle with Raw Hem, which features the brand’s exclusive Lift Tuck® Technology to slim in the front and lifts in the back, contouring your curves for a flattering fit.
2. Invest in outer-wearability. Throwing on a piece of stylish outerwear will kick your entire outfit up a notch. Choose a blazer for warmer days, a moto jacket for moderate ones or a super chic coat during the cold months, and pair it with one of NYDJ newest Smart Embrace styles like the Alina Legging in Smart Embrace Denim, an innovative all-season denim technology that keeps you cool on hot days and warm on cold days. The fabric is engineered with LYCRA® COOLMAX® fabric technology, which contains wicking ability to move moisture away from the body when you’re hot, and hollow-core fibers to provide insulation when you’re cold.
3. A little pop of color goes a long way. Roll out of bed, throw your hair in a top knot and pop a little color on your lip to transition from sleepy mama to pulled-together mama in a snap.
4. Empower yourself. Regardless of what you are wearing, it’s crucial to feel beautiful in it. Don’t buckle to peer pressure if you’re not into the denim trend of the moment; instead, choose styles that compliment your shape and personal style, or opt with a universally flattering fit like NYDJ’s Parker Slim in Modern Edit Fit Super Sculpting Denim, featuring a true mid-rise and a fabric that supports, slims and contours your curves.
5. Add some cute shoes. An elevated pair of shoes can completely transform your overall look, even when the rest of your ensemble is more “comfy casual.” Dress up a cozy sweatshirt and distressed denim (these NYDJ Alina Wide Cuff Ankle With Fray Detail are one of my faves) with a cute pair of stylish pointy toe ballet flats.
6. Hat’s off. Moms don’t always have the luxury of time to spend on their hair, so hats are an easy way to keep things stylish without too much effort in front of the mirror.
7. Think outside the T-shirt. Keep a few stylish — but kid-friendly — blouses in your wardrobe that are separate from the reserved “night out” tops. An easy pair of jeans like the wear-with-everything NYDJ Girlfriend in Smart Embrace paired with a cool pair of sneakers can keep you from looking like you’re doing the walk of shame at drop-off.
8. Your style can be predetermined. Your kiddo already knows the drill, but mama needs to get in on the action: choosing your outfit the night before will make chaotic mornings much smoother. Want to be even more efficient? Spend 30 minutes each Sunday night after the kids go to bed choosing an entire week’s worth of looks!
9. Give yourself a hand(bag). Believe it or not, a beautiful and stylish handbag can pull together even the most casual of looks. Whether it’s a trendy backpack, leather satchel or designer tote, invest in a style that works with your daily wardrobe.
10. Be a class act. Classic pieces like v-neck T-shirts, white button-downs or solid pullover sweaters not only pair well with your NYDJ Boyfriend jeans, but also with just about everything in your closet. Be sure to have a capsule of these classic items stocked up and ready to go at all times.
Photography by Ren’ee Kahn Bresler for Well Rounded.
*This post was sponsored by NYDJ.
SHOP NYDJ JEANS AT NYDJ.COM. HERE’S SOME OF OUR FAVE STYLES: