I love chocolate. I also like making sure I’m nourishing my body with herbs that are going to sustain my energy throughout the day as well as boost immunity, among other things. Especially as a mother. (Multitasking, amirite?) But who says you can’t do both at the same time? Which is why I founded Freaky Health Chocolate, where I get to combine delicious chocolate with high vibe herbs like reishi (for building immunity) and maca (for balanced energy and hormone support).
In honor of Valentine’s Day, you can take this same idea and make raw chocolate truffles. They are such a nutritious treat and couldn’t be simpler. Plus, you can throw in so many great superfoods. Everyone wins!
Raw Chocolate Truffles
Makes 15-20 truffles
1 cup nuts (almonds or cashews work well)
10 medjool dates, pitted
3 tablespoons cacao powder
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Add nuts to food processor and blend for several minutes until mixture smooths out into a butter.
- If dates are on the dry side, let them soak in hot water for a few minutes so that they plump up. Then drain from water.
- Add dates, cacao, maple syrup, and salt to food processor and blend with nuts until a solid mass forms.
- Remove truffle base.
- On a parchment paper lined plate or cookie sheet, roll out tablespoon sized balls. Roll the balls in desired topping (chopped nuts, coconut flakes, cocoa nibs, or puffed rice).
- Refrigerate or freeze for up to a week.
Written by Karolina Palmer, the founder of Freaky Health Chocolate, a small-batch and organic chocolate company. The purest raw cacao is combined with high-vibrational tonic herbs to create a magic alchemy of delicious chocolate and transformative healing. Made with so much love in Manhattan. Karolina is mom to two boys, Phoenix (4) and Soren (2). Get a discount at Freaky Health Chocolate whien you sign up for the mailng list!