It’s hard to shop for baby products these days without coming across the term ‘breathable.’ What does breathable mean anyway? Whether you’re looking for gear to keep you and baby cool on a warm summer day or a product to create a safe sleeping environment for your babe, it’s breathability that you’re looking for. Breathable products allow for optimum airflow, can help regulate body temperature and, bonus, in many cases make it more comfortable and easier for babies to sleep longer. We’ve rounded up eight of our favorite breathable products to get you prepped for the summer ahead.
1. Ergo Baby Cool Air Mesh Carrier. As we head into the warm summer months, Ergo’s breathable Carriers work to keep both baby and parent comfortable. Made with lightweight, moisture-wicking, mesh fabric, these carriers provide everything we love about Ergo Carriers with added breathability. Once only available in the sporty Performance Baby Carrier, which is great for outdoor activities, the popular 360 All Position Carrier is now made with Cool Air Mesh for year round comfort.
2. Cybex Mios Stroller. The newest lightweight stroller to hit the market is also a breathable one. The Mios from Cybex features a footrest and backrest constructed out of mesh fabric. Regulating your child’s temperature during summer day strolls just became a cinch. And come winter, simply attach the padded inlay for a warmer ride.
3. Newton Wovenaire Crib Mattress. Newborns can snooze up to seventeen hours a day, so it’s important to provide them with a safe and healthy sleeping environment. The Wovenaire Crib Mattress, which is made of safe, food-grade polymer, allows air to actually flow through the mattress, making it both extremely breathable and temperature regulating. It’s also lightweight (key for easy sheet changes), recyclable and washable.
4. Nuna Sena Aire Playard. Summer travel is made a whole lot cooler with the the Sena Aire Playard. Constructed with advanced air design technology, this playard provides superior airflow. Not only are the sides and floor made with mesh material, but the mattress itself is ventilated and designed to pull away heat and humidity.
5. Breathable Baby crib bumpers. It’s important to note that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents avoid the use of crib bumpers to help decrease the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). That being said, if crib bumpers are the right choice for your family, the crib bumpers from Breathable Baby are the safest choice. These bumpers are made from a mesh fabric created with Air Channel Technology, which allows for maximum airflow.
6. Baby K’tan Newborn Swaddle. Overheating during sleep is a concern of many parents, but one you don’t have to worry about when using the innovative Baby K’tan Newborn Swaddle. Made from stretchy, breathable, cotton-mesh fabric that allows for continuous airflow, this swaddle helps baby feel secure while also keeping her body temperature safely regulated.
7. Babybjorn Bouncer Balance Soft Mesh. This bouncer provides baby with an ergonomically designed support that promotes the development of motor skills all while keeping him cool and comfortable. And a quick fold makes it easy to tote this chair to outdoor picnics and barbecues this summer (in the shade, of course).
8. The Nook Niche Nursing Pillow. Made from 100% organic and breathable materials, this nursing pillow provides ultimate comfort for both breastfeeding and bottle feeding sessions. And keeping cool during feedings is just one of the many uses of this nursing pillow, as it also comes in handy for playtime and tummy time down the road.
A former NYC nanny and preschool teacher, Natalie Gentile draws from a wide range of experience in early childhood education to carefully select the safest and most reliable baby gear on the market. As the founder of King Kidlet, Natalie’s niche expertise allows her to skillfully guide expectant parents through a saturated baby-product market, ensuring parents are informed and prepared. Natalie holds an MS in Early Childhood Education and is a certified New York State Early Childhood Educator.