If you’re traveling with kids this holiday season, chances are you’re thinking more about the journey than the actual destination. The right prep can make all the difference when you’re on the road (or in the sky) with your little ones, from what you bring, to where you stay, to how you handle the sometimes-sticky situations.
To give you some expert traveling mama advice, we brought in two of the most expert traveling mamas we know: Nasiba Adilova and Miroslava Duma, the jet-setting Russian fashionista founders of The Tot. TheTot.com’s quickly become our go-to for smartly curated gear and fashion for baby and mom, with its commitment to eco-friendly merchandise, cool collabs (can someone please buy us this Mary Katrantzou diaper bag?), and cool mama recommendations and advice.
To celebrate the opening of their first retail store in Dallas, Nasiba and Miroslava shared some of their best tips for traveling with kids, and curate the smartest mama must-haves for life on the road.
What was your first big trip with your baby?
Nasiba: Paris Fashion Week when he turned three months old.
What do you remember most about that trip?
Nasiba: I loved having him all to myself, I loved showing him beautiful Paris and taking him everywhere with me. It was such a beautiful experience. The great thing was that he was so small he slept when he wanted, he ate when he was hungry and I could literally take him anywhere with me. He went to Caviar Caspia and the whole restaurant was smitten with him.
What mistakes did you make on that trip?
Nasiba: The big mistake I made was packing as much as I did! It was the first time I traveled with a baby and six bags was excessive…it’s a good thing I learned that lesson early on and never repeated it.
How do you find all the kid friendly stuff to do when you hit a new spot?
Miroslava: I travel frequently and always bring my children with me so I take them everywhere…there isn’t a distinction for me between what is kid friendly and what’s not. I do make a point of staying near parks, though, because I love being outside in the fresh air so my children can enjoy whatever city we’re exploring at a given time.
How does being a mama help you meet people when you’re on the go?
Miroslava: So many of my friends are now mothers so when I visit different places and ask them for recommendations, it expands my network twofold because they inevitably have a friend-of-a-friend who is a parent in another location. I especially love that because it allows me to hear what’s best from a local which is always the ideal way to navigate when on the road.
What’s one tip you’d give a new mama heading out on her first big trip with baby?
Miroslava: Take a deep breath and have patience…travel is stressful enough and it can be more difficult with little ones in tow but it’s so worth it to stay together when possible.
THE TOT’S 8 MUST-HAVES FOR TRAVELING WITH KIDS
1. GB Pockit Stroller. I always take my Pockit stroller, it’s the world’s smallest stroller and it folds and fits into overhead compartments with room to spare!
2. Water Wipes. I love my WaterWipes…they are made 99% of water and 1 % of fruit extract, and are so handy when you are on the go.
4. A great book that we read together for entertainment is from a wonderful book company we work with called Tiny Bee Gift Co. Anytime you buy a book from them, they donate one to a child in need.
5. Eco-Kids crayons which are made of vegetable dyes are great for some activities during flight and help keep their busy little minds occupied.
7. Twoodie toy set which is organic, beautiful, handmade and natural. We play with it building different shapes.
8. All organic and natural Kahina Giving Beauty Travel Basics Kit. It’s 100% organic and natural and so lovely for one’s skin…it keeps it protected and supplied during flight.