By now, you’ve probably thought about it all. Your baby’s nursery is ready, and it’s a true dreamland with a crib (duh), a mobile (duh again) and a sound machine (did we say duh?). You bought a surplus of diapers in sizes newborn and 1… and 2 because, who knows, your baby may be born a giant. And you got that stroller that is small enough to fit in your diaper bag, but still strong enough to hold said giant baby. But there’s one thing we think you should add to your list of awesome baby essentials: a mattress — for you!
When you become a mom, sleep comes at a premium, and you’ll basically be living in bed, nursing and snuggling your bundle and, you know, recovering from birth. So trust us, you’ll need a mattress that can support you through the highs and lows of new motherhood (and beyond).
Casper — one of the first bed-in-a-box brands and O.G. mattress-sphere disruptors — claims to offer high-quality mattresses that are “just right.” But are they right for us, moms? That’s what we wanted to find out, so we’ve put the original Casper mattress to the test.
Here are 5 reasons we think you should add The Casper mattress to your list of new mom must-haves.
1. It’s your daily dose of physical therapy. Motherhood does a number on your back — your whole body, really. You’re wearing baby to go to the grocery store or to meet with friends; you’re lifting him off the floor or from the crib a thousand times a day; and you’re carrying strollers up and down the stairs. With the Zoned Support technology, The Casper is the back therapy that your new mom body has been waiting for. The softer foam under the shoulders will let you sink in just enough to relieve any pressure you may have; and the firmer surface under the hips provides a little extra support right where you need it to keep your spine aligned. Perfect to bring you some relief after mommying hard all day long.
2. It won’t make you sweat. The downside of a lot of memory foam mattresses is that they tend to get stuffy and sweaty. But The Casper has an outer latex layer that’s very breathable, which means you can rest easy and, well, cool all night long. This can come especially handy for mothers who are experiencing night sweats due to mean hormonal tricks after childbirth and while breastfeeding. Bonus point for the shielding effect that latex has against dust mites and bed bugs.
3. It’s a cinch to clean. As we mentioned, you’ll be spending a lot of time in bed with your baby; and chances are, spills and spit ups — whether it’s formula, a diaper blowout or even your coffee — will make their way onto your mattress. How do you even clean that mess, right? The Casper makes it easy peasy. It has a zip-off cover that you can wash in the machine — you know, kind of like your little one’s mattress! And if you want extra protection, you can purchase a waterproof mattress cover that will withstand any of your baby’s messes.‘
4. You can get it without leaving the house. yYou think waking up three times a night to feed baby is exhausting? Try schlepping to the mattress store(s) and withstanding the rather aggressive salesperson(s) with a baby in tow! And don’t even get us started about the intimidating task of transporting the mattress back home! The good news is, with Casper, you can get a mattress delivered to your front door with just the click of a button. Plus, you can try the mattress for 100 days, and if you aren’t satisfied, the brand will pick it up and give you a full refund. So get comfy, mama — and keep on snuggling with your baby, ’cause you pretty much have no reason to ever leave the house.
5. You’ll wake up feeling like you’re on vacay. You know that blissful hotel experience of waking up feeling like a million bucks after sleeping in a fluffy bed that feels like the clouds that dreams are made of? Well, it turns out, you don’t need to stay at a five-star hotel to get five-star slumber. The Casper can provide you with a similar experience, but in the comfort of your own home. And mama, you’ve just given birth to a human being; and now you’re knee deep in laundry and dirty diapers. Plus, if you’re nursing, your little one’s probably sucking on your nipples until they are raw. So you need… nay, DESERVE a bed that makes you feel like you’re waking up from a slumbertastic sojourn in the tropics. We say, the babymoon starts NOW!