I was prepared for a major change in my body during pregnancy, but not my skin. I mean, come on, can’t at least one thing stay constant? But almost as soon as I learned I was pregnant, my skin started breaking out, feeling sensitive and irritated. During the first trimester of pregnancy your body is getting a serious dose of hormones. Everybody reacts differently; some women get that “pregnancy-glow” while others experience a full-blown teenage episode of acne. If you’re one of the lucky ones to experience skin issues, rest easy knowing that once your hormones level out (and I’m just talking about your skin, not mood swings… as they tend to stick around), your skin will calm down… at least until your last trimester due to a surge of hormones getting your body ready for the big event.
In the meantime, try to stick to the basics: cleanse, exfoliate, and hydrate. Keep your beauty ritual simple! Remember your body requires more water when you’re pregnant, so hydrate from the inside out! And, take time for yourself every night and morning – no matter how tired you are.
Here’s 6 products that can help tame hormonal angry skin in a matter of days.
1. Marula Cleaning Oil from African Botanics. Suitable for all skin-types, this is one of my absolute favorites. Deeply cleanses the skin while it sooths and brightens in one simple step. $60. Buy it here.
2. The Organic Pharmacy Rose & Chamomile Cleansing Milk. Rose and Chamomile are two of the best ingredients to calm irritated sensitive skin. This gentle cleanser will leave your skin soft and refreshed. $67. Buy it here.
3. Joanna Vargas Exfoliating Mask. I cannot live without this product (I keep two at time so I NEVER RUN OUT!). This gentle enzymatic mask is a workhorse; it lightens and brightens while it gently exfoliates the skin, leaving a rejuvenated glowing complexion and keeping breakouts at bay! $75. Buy it here.
4. Kahina Antioxidant Mask. A double-duty exfoliating mask that cleans your pours while giving your complexion a serious does of antioxidants. $62. Buy it here.
5. M Picaut Skin Perfect Moisturiser. They don’t call it “skin perfect” for nothing. This moisturizer kept my skin balanced morning and night…and gave it a beautiful dewy glow to boot! M Picaut also offers a Skin Detox Moisturizer – for oily-combination skin types. I’m a huge a fan of this line! $95. Buy it here.
6. May Lindstrom Blue Cocoon Beauty Balm Concentrate. Ummm…can we say lifesaver? This delicious ultra comforting, hydrating, beauty balm is amazing, and worth every penny. Use daily or spot treat dry, itchy or irritated sections. $160. Buy it here.