Want to know something incredible about this apple crumble recipe? Not only is it seasonal and delicious, but there are even a couple ingredients that make it beneficial for breastfeeding. Now it’s in no way a pure lactation recipe, but oats and almonds are known to increase lactation so that’s the perfect excuse to make and consume this wonderful fall treat, right? Right!
6 medium honey crisp apples
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ to ½ cup granulated sugar, depending on tartness of apples
½ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
½ cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup shaved almonds
½ cup melted butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your baking dishes with pam. I used a pie dish as well as an 8” square dish.
- In a large mixing bowl juice your lemon and add in your dried cranberries to soften.
- Core apples and cut into 3/4 –inch pieces. Feel free to peel your apples or leave the skin on. I left the skin on mine. Mix into your large bowl with cranberries and lemon juice. The lemon juice will help your apples from turning brown. Add in cinnamon and sugar and mix.
- In a separate bowl make your topping. Mix together your flour, oats, sugar, salt and almonds.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat melt down your butter. Mix into your topping.
- Distribute your filling mixture into your baking dishes and cover with your topping.
- Place into the oven and bake between 1 hour and 15 minutes and 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the juices are bubbling, apples are soft, and the crumble top is golden brown. Enjoy!