The debate on spanking just got a little less debatable, with a new word from the American Academy of Pediatrics. Plus, the sweetest care package for NICU mamas and babies. And, does your kid have a cough?! We have details on what you should be doing instead of medicating! It’s all right here in in our Weekly Links.
- One of the most challenging things to deal with as a parent is how to discipline your child. But this week, a little guidance from the American Academy of Pediatrics with a strongly worded statement that parents should not spank their children. The AAP also said to avoid non-injury punishment that is humiliating, threatening or scary.
- If you want more mother’s to breastfeed, give them paid leave. That’s what data from a new study from the American Journal of Public Health says. In 2004 and 2009, California and New Jersey introduced partially paid leave; since then, breastfeeding rates in those states have increased, while numbers in other states have stayed the same.
- In honor of Prematurity Awareness Month, Tubby Todd has just introduced the sweetest gift box for the tiniest of babies. The NICU Care Package Bundle is full of thoughtful items, like a special spray for your baby’s lovey so he will associate it with mama while she’s away. Our heart is melting.
- Eva Chen fans, rejoice! Those cute clothes you’ve seen her kiddos wearing on Insta are finally available. Looks inspired by influencer and mama Eva Chen’s children’s book Juno Valentine are now available Janie and Jack for a limited time. We’re dying for those red bandanas! Even better, some of the clothes are available in adult size for a cool matchy-matchy look!
- If your kiddo has a cough right now (and like, omg, whose doesn’t?!), the best advice out at the moment is: don’t medicate. That’s because there’s really no medicine that can treat a cough in a little one. Rather, pediatricians are recommending comfort measures like honey and lemon (remember, no honey before baby turns 1). You can even make a tea by boiling ginger, straining, then adding lemon juice and honey.
Image from The Atlantic.